Saturday, August 18, 2012

Adjusting the Fall Marathon

 So on July 4th I ran a race with a local club.  It was an eight mile race in a nice neighborhood around a lake. I ran to Target on the third to buy some red shorts.   I neglected to write a race recap ( As I have also not done since March.  Ooops ,that’s five races).  It was humid but nice.  I ran into some friends from High School and met their little ones.  After the race I met a daily mile friend and bumped into a parent from the school I work at.  He introduced me to a few people and we chatted about his daughter, her college and running.  A week later when I went into work I had an e-mail from him asking a little more about my running plans and wishing me a good training season.  That was nice.  Did I mention that he works for ING? Well he does and guess what? Three weeks later he contacts me again…..They have their own family and friends lottery which he asked if I’d like to be entered!  No promises but a possible spot.  Hey I’m training for Hartford anyway. YES PLEASE!  This past Wednesday I got a call from Him and the good news. 
  

On November 4th I will be running the streets of all five boroughs of

New York City!  

I was driving to pick my kids up from my parent’s house.  I ran in the house to find a counter and sink being installed and my mother pulling her hair out.  I asked her where the computer was and took my nine month old niece out of her hands.  And there it was in my inbox, an invitation to run with team ING! Thanks to my previous lottery entry NYRR had all my info and within a few clicks I was receiving the confirmation e-mail to my phone!  I had to post above picture to face book of coarse too.  Baby girl drooled on my lap with delight.  I turned and told my father I expected him to pick out a good spot to cheer from the Bronx, cause I was running!
Commence operation pick up the boys and race to Michael’s baseball practice realizing his bat and helmet and glove were in the other car at the shop…… and there we were back to reality. 

BUT IT IS STILL AWESOME!!

Now I have adjusted my training back by three weeks (so much for that shorter traingin cycle I was hoping for) and realize that my vacation runs will be much better next week.  No 22 mile run the day after driving home from a Phillies night game?  Thank You!  Also, Hartford can still be run as a training run since it falls on my last long run week and calls for 26 miles.  Gotta think about that. 

1 comment:

  1. That's wonderful! Congratulations! New York is so much fun. And I love doing marathons as training runs for other marathons--it makes that super-long one so much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete