Monday, December 12, 2011

Birthday Bla

Well here I sit only hours away from being forty.  I never asked to be the big “40” but here it is. It’s a weird feeling I can’t quite describe.  It’s sort of disappointing but I am not sure why.  It’s not old.   I know plenty of awesome, active and fun women in their 50’s and 60’s.   
Me and my friend Michele at 21. We both look much better now.
 It’s just not the excitement of turning 16 and being able to drive.  Better yet 21-drinking keg beer and eggnog at a house party during finals week and then entering (the bar I had already been frequenting) legally at midnight (accompanied by my friends with fake id’s of course). 
Grown up Birthdays are more of a ordinary day.  Birthdays in December are a total blur, buried in holiday fervor and as a parent, elf like duties.  This year has been no exception. 
What I can say about me right now is that I can only be proud of myself.  This last year in my thirties has been very tough professionally, but highly fulfilling and successful personally.  In addition to the full marathon in October I have and PR’d the 5mile and 5k in the last six weeks.  Come to think of it my 10k and half PR’s are both from this year.  That’s pretty cool, but I don’t have plans to slow down.  Am I assuming I will just because I am in the next age group?  
 Maybe it’s because no one looks forward to turning 40 or 50 or 60?  Maybe it’s because you realize you can‘t turn back the clock.  Gray hair and wrinkles are inevitable.  Damn I wish I started using that Oil of Olay earlier! 
You can only hope someone thinks you are younger than you are.  At least that does happen to me frequently.  Do you think it’s my hairdo?  I like racing with my hair like this, bows and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment